Well, here we are in 2013. Where did the time go?
A US technology firm has come up with new Bluetooth stickers that use the new low energy 4.0 standard which can be attached to your essential items like wallets, keys, and even kids and pets to track them.
Your valuables can be detected by the stickers which work through a smartphone app that sets off a buzzer to help locate them. The app also includes a radar-like function to help you find your way to your possessions.
About the size of a coin, the Stick-N-Find stickers can attach via adhesive to valued possessions and send a low-energy Bluetooth signal with a range of about 100ft. So far the team behind it have developed apps compatible with smartphones with a range of features to help users track down their tagged possessions when they go missing. It should be noted that the leading App for once is on Android and Apple App is being released a few weeks later.
The Stick-N-Find Tags also have a LED light that can be triggered via the App to located them in dark rooms. If the cat is sitting on top of your keys! Then, you also have a buzzer that can also be triggered to sound to help find it’s location.
The first function the app offers is a simple radar screen that approximates the distance – but not yet the location – of all the paired Stick-N-Find stickers in range. The technology does not yet allow the app to determine which direction the lost items are in, so users have to start walking while watching the screen to see whether the device they are hunting forgets closer.
Imagine you could Stick a Stick-N-Find Sticker on your Suitcase.
When all the suitcases start coming out on the belt, you can sit down and wait. Once your Suitcase is within Range, your phone will Alert you, you can get up, and take your suitcase. Stops the embarrassment of picking up someone else’s case! We have all been there.
A second feature, which the designers call the Virtual Leash, allows users to set an alarm to sound whenever a sticker moves a predetermined distance from your phone. This feature could be used to keep track of your children at the playground, for example, or to remind you if you’re getting ready to leave the house for work and forget to pick up your keys.
A third feature called Find It helps to locate any items that are out of range by setting an alarm to sound as soon as they appear on the app’s radar, allowing you to begin using it to track down the lost item as soon as you are nearby. The stickers themselves will keep going for up to a year on a watch-type battery.
The Stick-N-Find location stickers are the brainchild of John Mitts, an engineer at SSI America which is a product development company specialising in small electronics.
Just like everyone we lose stuff all the time so, we thought, why not design an ultra-small Bluetooth connected sticker you can stick on any device, person or animal so you can easily find them? he said.
“So we came up with Stick-N-Find. Stick-N-Find is an ultra-small sticker with built in Bluetooth low energy with a range of 100ft, about the size of a Ten pence and with a battery life that lasts about a year,” he added.
They come in multiple colours and also have a tag configuration so you can attach it to your suitcase, key ring or children.
The stock will be limited so purchase yours today by Clicking Here or click on the “buttons” image above.
You can have 1 Stick-n-Find or 20. Your phone can find all them at the same time.
- iOS devices with Bluetooth 4.0 (iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, new iPad, New Touch, mini iPad)
- Android devices supporting Bluetooth Low Energy, running Android 4.0 and newer. We have tested it with Samsung S3, and Note 2. We will post more phones tested as we finish the Android app.
- Technology: Bluetooth 4.0 (Bluetooth Low Energy) Range: Approximate 100 Feet with a line of sight. Battery: Lasts up to 1 year based on 30 minutes per day average use. Battery Type: CR2016 watch battery. Battery is replaceable
Size and weight of each Sticker:
- Diameter: 0.98 Inches diameter x Thickness 0.16 Inches (24mm Diameter x 4mm)
- Weight: 0.15 ounces (4.5 grammes)
How many Stick-N-find stickers can 1 Smartphone find?
- We recommend using no more than 20 stickers at the same time.
Can multiple phones connect to a Stick-N-Find?
- You can pair the stickers to many phones, and even see all the stickers in range on the Radar screen from many phones at the same time, but only one phone can make connect to a sticker. (make it Buzz, or create the Virtual Leash at a time)
How good is the Glue on the Stick-N-find? Will it adhere to any surface?
- We use 3M VHB adhesive. It adheres to most surfaces and creates a virtual weld. It achieves full strength bonding in about 1 hour after Sticking it.
- 3M VHB will adhere to Glass • Painted surfaces • Metal • Painted/sealed wood & concrete • Outdoor & harsh environmental applications • Plastics • Leather and more!
Is it easy to remove the stickers once the adhesive cures?
- It is not easy nor hard. You will need a little strength, and they will come out. You can then peel easily any residue left.
What Smartphones does the Stick-N-Find work with?:
- Stick-N-Find works iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, New Ipad, iPad mini, New iPod touch. It also works on Android devices supporting Bluetooth Low Energy, running Android 4.0 and newer. We have tested it on the Samsung Galaxy S3, and Note 2, and it works great! (Since the support for Bluetooth 4.0 on the Samsung S3 is bad, we wrote the Buetooth drivers on our own)
Do I need a separate adapter or special case for my phone?
- Nothing special is required. Stick-N-Find will communicate directly with your Smartphone via Bluetooth Low Energy.
What is the range of Stick-N-Find?
- Approximate 100 feet or about 30 Meters.
How long will the battery last and are they replaceable?
- The replaceable battery inside Stick-N-Find will last about 1 year.
Do I need to remove the Stick-N-Find to replace the battery?
How do I replace the battery?
- The top of the Stick-N-Find twists off just like bottle top. It is then a simple matter of removing the old battery and replacing it with a new one.
What kind of battery does the Stick-N-Find use?
- The Stick-N-Find uses a commonly found CR2016 for watch battery.
Will the Stick-N-Find app, show me the direction to my lost object?
- Because we don’t really know direction, the radar Screen can only be used to approximate the distance of the Stick-N-Find to your phone, but not direction. So once item you are looking for is one your Radar Screen you start walking in a specific direction, and see if it gets closer or farther.
How do you attach a Stick-N-Find to your key ring?
- Each Stick-N-Find comes with a key ring mounting plate. Stick the Stick-N-Find to the Ring mounting plate and then thread it on your key ring.
Are the Stick-N-Find stickers waterproof?
- No, they are not waterproof. Each Sticker has opening holes for the Buzzer sound to come out. Please protect the stickers from water.
How do you pair Stick-N-Find Stickers with your phone?
- Pairing will be done from within the StickNFind app. No need to go to the Settings or Bluetooth menu on your phone. From within the StickNFind app, you will be able to pair with Stickers that are only very close to the Phone. (About 1 feet or less). This will ensure you only pair with your stickers, and not your neighbors…
- Only Stickers that have been paired, will be visible on the StickNFind app.
You can order these at www.Stick-N-Find.co.uk
That is for now.